Friday, April 10, 2009

Florida Trip

Not really home but Florida to visit the parents for 5 days. I’m writing this update from the airport and find myself already getting annoyed with all the people walking around with their heads buried in their Blackberry’s. This is my first trip back to the States since leaving in Oct ’07 however I did see my parents in Sept. when we went through the Canal together.

I’m still working in the loft and thoroughly enjoying it (however I’m still not too excited about the sewing portion but I’m learning a lot of info about sail trim and build. It will pay dividends if I decide to get on a large sailing yacht as crew). When I return from the States, I’ll be prepping the boat for my trip south to Antigua. I need to get there by the 15th for the races that start on the 16th. The trip down will be a little of a beat against the wind but the way back should be a great sail. I may take a few extra days returning to hit a few islands. Once I return, I’ll work for a few more weeks, then head North.

Noel on Ketching Up may fly his wife and 3 boys home to Charleston and single-hand up the coast. If that happens, we will most likely go together with maybe one or 2 stops along the way. I think it’s 1200nm’s to Miami, not sure how much to Georgia. I booked a marina for a month in Brunswick. It’s $400 for the month so I can’t complain. From there, I think I’ll go up to Wilimington for July. I thought about heading up to Virginia but we’ll play it by ear.

Finllly, the Rolex Regatta was this weekend. A Captain asked if I wanted to crew on his 80’ but unfortunately, I had to work! If you work in a sail loft, you work during the regatta. We fixed a few blown jibs and patched a couple spinnakers. Even though I didn’t race, the party on Saturday night made it all worth it. Live reggae bands and plenty of alcohol and wealthy young ladies.

That’s all for now,
Dan

No comments: